Fat bombs are a keto diet supplemental food usually made from a combination of ingredients like butter, coconut oil, nuts, and seeds. They were designed specifically for the keto diet.
Since keto is a high-fat, low-carb diet, these treats are often very high in fat and low in carbs. Some have moderate protein levels, but the key macronutrient in a fat bomb is fat.
Fat bombs can help when you need a quick snack and want to stay in ketosis. Check out the keto chocolate fat bombs below.
If you’re interested in getting enough fat on your keto diet, you may want to consider supplementing with MCT oil.
What are Keto Fat Bombs?
Keto fat bombs are small, high-fat snacks popular among ketogenic diet followers. They are designed to provide a quick source of energy and help keep you in ketosis, the fat-burning state induced by a low-carb, high-fat diet.
Keto fat bombs are usually made with healthy, nutritious ingredients like coconut oil, nuts, and seed and can come in various flavors.
People also make keto fat bombs with sweeteners like stevia, monk fruit, and erythritol to make them palatable. They often help curb cravings between meals and can be a great way to add healthier fats to your diet.
Keto Chocolate Fat Bomb Recipe
Keto Chocolate Fat Bombs are an easy and delicious way to get healthy fats and protein into your diet. These little treats are made with almond butter, coconut oil, and cocoa powder, perfect for a low-carb, high-fat snack. They are keto-friendly and can be enjoyed as a part of a healthy lifestyle.
Ingredients For Keto Chocolate Fat Bombs
3/4 Cup Almond Butter: Almonds are a healthy source of fats, containing only 5 grams of carbs per serving. If you’re using natural almond butter, it should have no additions—extra points if you make your own! This will also add crucial micronutrients such as iron, calcium, zinc, B vitamins, and vitamin E.
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil: High in MCT and lauric acid, this pure fat will help you achieve ketosis much faster. Coconut oil is also proven to help you sustain ketosis for longer, so fat bombs with coconut oil are always better.
Apart from the fats above, the following three ingredients are added primarily to improve the taste of these keto-fat bombs. You can experiment with the quantities if this is too sweet (or not sweet enough). Regardless of how much of the following ingredients you add, the fat bombs will have the same intended impact on inducing ketogenesis.
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder for flavor
- 3 tablespoons stevia: for sweetness
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract for aroma
Note that you can skip the stevia entirely if you don’t need these keto chocolate bombs to be sweet. If you are adding an alternative sweetener instead, take note of the number of carbs and try to use a maximum of 4.5 grams in your added sweetener to stay within the same range required for ketosis.
How To Prepare Keto Chocolate Fat Bombs
Since this recipe has only a handful of ingredients, it goes without saying that it’s a simple one. So here’s how to make these keto cocoa bombs:
- Measure out your ingredients precisely. Ideally, you should be using measuring cups to make this recipe. Make sure your coconut oil is at room temperature or warmer, so that it is liquid and easy to incorporate. Your almond butter should also be at room temperature.
- Then add all the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until everything is well incorporated. Keep an eye out for lumps of cocoa powder which would be unpleasant to eat.
- Once you’re satisfied that the mixture is homogeneous, place the bowl in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. The mixture should thicken as it chills, making it easier to shape.
- Use a measuring spoon (1 tablespoon) to scoop out precise amounts of the mixture and roll it in your hands to form a ball. If the mixture is difficult to work with, pop it back in the fridge and wait for it to thicken further.
Pro Tip: Rub your hands with a tiny amount of coconut oil to make the surface of your fat bombs smoother and more appealing.
Place the rolled chocolate balls onto a lined baking sheet and freeze them for at least one hour or until solid. You can then store them in the fridge (in a ziplock bag or reusable container) for up to two weeks.
You don’t need to warm them up or prepare them any further before serving or consuming them. Simply grab a chocolate ball and take a bite—these are fudgy and decadent!
How Many Fat Bombs Should You Eat in a Day?
It’s generally recommended that you eat one to three fat bombs per day to stay in ketosis. However, there’s no set limit on the number of fat bombs you can eat per day.
Are These Chocolate Fat Bombs Healthy?
Fat bombs are healthy for people on a ketogenic diet because they lead to ketosis. Otherwise, they would lead to weight gain and further health complications.
Keto Chocolate Fat Bomb Recipe
- 3/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp stevia
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Mix the almond butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, and honey (if desired).
- Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Once the mixture has thickened, use a spoon to scoop out 1 tablespoon-sized portions and roll them into balls.
- Place the balls on a parchment-lined baking sheet and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- Once frozen, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!