Protein bars are a great way to feed your body when you're on the road and can't find keto friendly foods. However, It can be difficult to find keto friendly protein bars in your local store. Most protein bars are sweetened with corn syrup and high in carbohydrates. That obviously won't work for the keto diet. There are some protein bars on the market that cater to the low carb/keto dieter. We've put together a list of some of the best keto friendly protein bars on amazon.
What are the benefits of keto friendly protein bars?
- If you're working out or lifting weights you may require twice as much protein as the average adult. Protein bars are a great way to supplement your daily protein intake.
- Some protein bars are high in both protein and fiber which help suppress your appetite.
- Protein bars can lead to muscle protein synthesis. When you exercise your muscles are damaged. Protein helps rebuild those muscles stronger than before. It can help you recover from a workout.
- Some studies have found that an increase in protein leads to increased strength and power.
- They can help you increase your lean mass.
- Eating protein bars can lead to a reduction in body fat. You can increase your metabolism slightly by eating protein bars. It can help increase satiety or the feeling of fullness. It can also reduce the hunger hormone in your body.
- They can help stabilize your blood sugar. Many studies have found that protein can help reduce the risk for some diseases such as diabetes, obesity, stroke risk, and similar conditions
- A high fiber protein bar can help reduce your blood pressure. A study showed that protein and fiber can help reduce your blood pressure if you have hypertension.
- Protein bars can help lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and overall cholesterol levels. Lowering it can improve your health and reduce your risk of heart disease or strokes.
- The combination of protein and calcium found in most protein bars can increase bone strength.
Types of protein
Whey protein is the most common type of protein found in dietary supplements. This protein comes from milk during the cheese making process. It's a high protein liquid that is separated from cheese curds. Why contains a high number of BCAA (branch chain amino acids) and is a quick digesting protein. It has a major role in promoting muscle growth and recovery after working out. Studies have shown that whey protein can help build and maintain muscle mass. A study has shown that whey protein can help improve body composition but decreasing fat and increasing lean body mass. Whey protein also seems to help reduce appetite. It may also help to reduce inflammation.
Casein protein is also a protein extracted from milk but it is more slowly digested than whey protein. This protein can help slow down stomach emptying and delay the absorption of amino acids into the bloodstream by forming a gel when it interacts with stomach acids. That is one of the reasons casein is a popular pre-bedtime protein. Casein is more effective at increasing muscle growth and recovery than soy and wheat protein. A study shows that casein may be the best protein to take during calorie restriction. People had two times the reduction in fat mass, a gain of lean mass, and increase in chest strength when they took casein compared to whey protein.
Eggs are a natural source of high-quality protein. Eggs are also one of the best foods for decreasing appetite and helping you stay full for hours. Egg protein powders are typically extracted from egg whites only. They are considered a complete protein as they contain all 9 essential amino acids. Eggs proteins have been shown to increase lean mass and muscle strength in athletes. Egg protein is also a good choice for anyone allergic to milk or those who suffer from lactose intolerance.
Pea protein is great for anyone who is on a vegan or vegetarian diet but wants to consume more protein. It's also a great choice for those who are allergic to milk or eggs. It's made from yellow split peas and contains 8 out of 9 essential amino acids that your body needs. Pea protein is also rich in branched chain amino acids (BCAA). Pea protein is absorbed more slowly than whey protein but faster than casein. Studies have shown a similar increase in lean mass and performance when taking pea protein compared to whey protein. It's also been shown to help decrease high blood pressure.
This plant-based protein supplement has been gaining more popularity in recent years. It is related to the marijuana plant but only contains trace amounts of THC. Hemp has high levels of 7 out of 9 essential amino acids. It's also very high in omega-3 fatty acids.
Brown Rice Protein
The protein made from brown rice has actually been around for a fairly long time. Brown rice protein contains all of the essential amino acids that your body is unable to make on its own. A study has shown brown rice protein to be on par with whey protein body composition, muscle strength, and recovery.
Mixed Plant Proteins
This is a complete protein with all of the essential amino acids. It comes from a blend of different plant sources. Mixed plant proteins contain some blend of brown rice, pea, hemp, alfalfa, chia seeds, flaxseeds, artichoke, and quinoa. Plant proteins have a higher fiber content than animal proteins. This leads them to be digested much more slowly. Mixed plant proteins have also been shown to lead to a faster appearance of amino acids in the bloodstream than whey proteins.
Keto friendly protein bars have been shown to have a lot of benefits. There are several different types of protein that can be included in these protein bars. Each one has their own benefits and you can't really go wrong with any of them. These bars can help you increase strength, add lean muscle mass, lose fat, and increase energy.