Not only is this smoothie a convenient breakfast on the go, but it’s also very easy to make too! All you need is a handful of ingredients and a blender. Let’s take a look at how you can make this delicious low-carb berry smoothie.
- Almond Milk: Instead of regular milk (which is full of sugar), almond milk is a low carb, high protein alternative liquid to add to your smoothie.
- Greek Yogurt: It gives this a smoother texture and also adds a tangy flavor that pairs well with the berries. Also, Greek yogurt is high in protein, adding to the health benefits of this smoothie.
- MCT Oil: While you will use a small quantity of this oil, you still wouldn’t want to skip it. Several studies have shown that MCT oil helps you reach ketosis faster and maintain that state.
- Protein Powder: This will increase the protein content of your smoothie to make it more satiating without adding more carbs.
- Frozen Raspberries: The star of the show, these will add vitamins and antioxidants to your keto frozen fruit smoothie. Use frozen raspberries instead of fresh so you don’t need to add ice to your smoothie, and for convenience.
- Walnuts: This will add healthy fats and a nutty flavor to your smoothie and even make it slightly more creamy as the natural oils in the walnut are released when blended.
- Honey: Add according to taste for sweetness, but keep in mind that this will add to your total carb count.
Making a smoothie is pretty straightforward, but here’s a tip to ensure you get the smoothest results. Especially when using a jug blender, you shouldn’t just randomly add your ingredients to the blender. Add the ingredients in the following order:
- First goes in the liquids (almond milk, honey, and MCT oil).
- Then add the semi-solid parts (greek yogurt and frozen raspberries).
- Finally, add the walnuts and protein powder.
Adding the ingredients in this order will protect your blender. It will also allow the solid ingredients to move from up to down so that they blend until smooth. If you don’t have a high-power blender, using an immersion blender would suffice. In that case, it’s better to first crush the walnuts into a paste using a mortar and pestle. Alternatively, you can use walnut butter to ensure that it blends entirely with the other ingredients.
Alternatives of keto berry smoothie
Instead of only using raspberries in your smoothie, you can make several variations of a keto mixed berry smoothie. Here are some options to consider:
- Keto Strawberry Smoothie: While most berries go well with the keto diet, strawberries work even better as they have comparatively lower carbs.
- Nut Butter Keto Smoothie: Add any nut butter instead of walnuts for a different flavor profile and a creamier texture. Almond butter is the lowest in carbs, but make sure that any nut butter you add is unsweetened, or make your own.
- Chocolate berry smoothie: A teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder will turn this already decadent smoothie into a chocolate lover’s delight.
- Chia seed mixed berry smoothie: Adding chia seeds will up the fiber content of your smoothie and also make it more nutritious by adding healthy fats and other nutrients. For best results, soak the chia seeds in the almond milk first.
You can also make the smoothie more enticing by adding your choice of toppings, keeping in mind that you should keep things low-carb. Here are some options to consider:
- Coconut flakes
- Crushed nuts
- Chia seeds
- Fresh berries
- Whipped cream
Tips for Storing & Freezing Low-carb Berry Smoothie
You can consider meal prepping for your smoothies to make it more convenient. The simplest way is to pre-portion your ingredients and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Here are three other methods to consider prepping your smoothie ahead of time:
- Freezer packs: You can add your pre-portioned ingredients into a freezer pack and keep it in the freezer for convenience. This is great for using different ingredients and making multiple variations of the smoothie at once. However, you’ll need to thaw the smoothie for a couple of hours before blending, or else your blender will break. Make sure to push out as much air as possible from the freezer bags before you put them in the freezer. Also, try to store them as flat as possible to reduce thawing time.
- Mason jars: You can blend your smoothies and put them in mason jars. Close the jars with an airtight lid and store them in the fridge for up to two days. Another option is to freeze the blended smoothie on closed mason jars. Be sure to leave half an inch of space on the top to allow for expansion in the freezer, or else the jars might break.
- Ice cube trays: This is the most convenient method for meal-prepping smoothies. After blending a large batch, pour it into large-size ice cube trays. When needed, all you need to do is blend a few frozen smoothie cubes, and you’re all set.
Note: You can freeze your smoothies for up to 3 months, but they’ll only last about 2 days in the fridge. Otherwise, the taste and texture begin to change significantly, and you risk losing some of the vitamins as they break down.
Can you eat mixed berries on keto?
Berries are an exception to the no-fruit rule of keto diets because they are low in carbs and high in fiber. Some berries are better choices, but any berry mix is fine.
Which berry is lowest in carbs?
Strawberries have the lowest total carbs. However, blueberries have lower net carbs. For the lowest carbs, you can consume a mix of raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries.
Is blueberry allowed in the keto diet?
Blueberries are allowed in a ketogenic diet if you only consume them in moderation. However, they aren’t the best choice for berries to add to a strict low-carb keto diet.
Keto Fatty Berry Smoothie Recipe
- 1/2 cup almond milk unflavored
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons MCT oil
- 1 scoop of low-carb vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Pinch of sea salt
- Combine the almond milk, Greek yogurt, MCT oil, protein powder, frozen raspberries, walnuts, honey, and salt in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!