MyFitnessPal is one of the most popular food tracking apps available. It has been around since 2005 and has a large user base of over 200 million people. You may be wondering how to setup MyFitnessPal for Keto.
MyFitnessPal allows users to track their food intake, exercise, water consumption, and more. It also offers a barcode scanner to easily track packaged foods and a vast database of food items and their nutritional information.
Let’s learn how to use MyFitnessPal to track net carbs on the keto diet.
Table of Contents
How to Setup MyFitnessPal for Keto
Setting up the MyFitnessPal app to track the keto diet is simple. The keto diet is a low-carb, high-fat, and moderate protein diet that aims to put your body into a state of ketosis.
To configure MyFitnessPal to track your keto diet, follow these steps:
Download and install the app
- For Android: You can download the app here, or go to the Google Play Store, search for “MyFitnessPal,” and install the app.
- For iOS: You can download the app here, or go to the App Store, search for “MyFitnessPal,” and install the app.
Create an Account or Login
Create an account or log in: If you’re new to MyFitnessPal, create an account by following the on-screen prompts. If you already have an account, log in with your credentials.
Setup Your Profile
Enter your personal information, such as age, gender, weight, height, and activity level. This information will help MyFitnessPal calculate your daily calorie and macronutrient goals.
Configure your goals
- Tap the “More” tab (Android) or the “Profile” tab (iOS), and then tap “Goals.”
- Under “Nutrition Goals,” tap “Calorie, Carbs, Protein, and Fat Goals.”
- Set your daily calorie goal based on your weight loss or maintenance goals.
- Adjust your macronutrient goals to fit the keto diet. A common macronutrient distribution for a keto diet is 5-10% carbohydrates, 20-25% protein, and 70-75% fat. To calculate these percentages, multiply your daily calorie goal by the percentage, and then divide by the calories per gram for each macronutrient (4 calories per gram for carbohydrates and protein, and 9 calories per gram for fat).
- Enter the calculated values in the appropriate fields for carbohydrates, protein, and fat. This will help you track your macronutrient intake throughout the day.
Start tracking your food intake
- Use the “Diary” tab to log the food you eat daily. You can search for foods, scan barcodes, or manually input nutritional information.
- As you log your food, MyFitnessPal will display your remaining macronutrient goals for the day, helping you stay on track with your keto diet.
Monitor your progress
Regularly check your progress by reviewing your food diary, weight updates, and other metrics. You can also connect with friends and the MyFitnessPal community for additional motivation and support.
It’s easy to use MyFitnessPal to keep yourself on track with the keto diet. For an even better tracking method for keto, sign up for the paid plan. It has the option to track net carbs which works out great. I really think the paid plan is worth the price to help keep me on my diet.