If you’re following a ketogenic diet, you know how important it is to watch your intake of carbohydrates. Keto usually allows about 20g of net carbs per day. Every gram that you eat counts.
One food that can be tricky is the refreshing watermelon. So, if you’re wondering if you can eat watermelon on keto, keep reading.
Watermelon contains 7.15g of net carbs per 100g serving, under our threshold of 8g for the keto diet. That does not mean you should eat it every day. It might be hard to fit watermelons into your daily diet, especially if you are counting carbs.
Short Answer: No, watermelon isn’t good for a strict keto diet.
Serving Size: 100g
Is Watermelon Keto
It’s a common question among those following a ketogenic diet. The keto diet has low carbs, so people often wonder which fruits have low enough carbs to eat.
People eat less than 20 grams of net carbs daily on the keto diet. Considering this, one can look at the carbohydrate content of watermelon. A cup of chopped watermelon has about 7.15 grams of net carbs (total carbs minus fiber).
The carb count doesn’t seem as bad as fruits like apples and bananas, but it’s high for those on strict keto diets. That’s more than one-third of your total daily allowance!
That means watermelon is only sometimes okay to eat on the keto diet.
Eating watermelon on a keto diet can use up much of your daily carb with one serving! This could stop weight loss and take you out of ketosis – the state where your body uses stored fat for energy.
If you skip fruits like watermelon because of carbs, you might not get vitamin C and other good vitamins. Watermelon can help you to feel full, which is a good snack for overweight adults.
To help the heart and liver, avoid eating fruit with many carbs.
Watermelons are tasty but not good for strict keto diets because they have too much sugar and carbs.
Pros Of Eating Watermelon On The Keto Diet
- Watermelon is low in calories and fat, making it a healthy choice for those looking to lose weight.
- It contains fiber, which can help keep you satisfied and full.
- Watermelon is high in vitamins A and C, which are important for health.
- This fruit comprises about 92% water, making it a good option for hydration.
- Even though it’s a fruit, watermelons have less sugar than other fruits.
Cons Of Eating Watermelon On The Keto Diet
- Watermelon is high in carbohydrates, with 7.15g of net carbs per 100g serving. This can exceed the daily limit for a ketogenic diet.
- It is high in sugar (6.2g), which is unsuitable for a keto diet that limits sugar.
- Eating watermelon can make you want more sweet and high-carb foods because it’s sweet.
- It has very little fiber (0.4g), so it doesn’t help much with the daily fiber you need on a keto diet.
- It has very low fat (0.15g), which is not good for a keto diet that needs a lot of fat.
The Health Benefits Of Watermelon
- Full of good stuff: Watermelon has vitamins like Vitamin C and A, which are healthy for you.
- Fiber: A small serving of watermelon gives you fiber that helps digestion.
- Sugars: Fruits have natural sugars that are better for you than sugars in other sweet things.
- Hydration: Watermelons are over 90% water. That means they are a great choice for hydration.
At first, skipping high-carb fruits like watermelons on the keto diet can take a lot of work. But as your body gets used to using fat for energy (ketosis), you might want sweet fruits less.
It’s better to look for low-carb fruits like berries on a keto diet instead of watermelon. But eating a little watermelon is okay because it’s healthy and has many benefits.
Alternatives To Watermelon On The Keto Diet
Cucumbers are a great alternative to watermelon on a ketogenic diet. Cucumbers are good for keto diets, with only 1.9g of carbs in half a cup. They also have good stuff like Vitamin C, like watermelon.
Strawberries are another keto-friendly fruit for the keto diet. With 5.5g of net carbs in half a cup, they can fit into your daily carb limit for weight loss without ending ketosis.
If you think watermelon is too much for the keto diet, consider cantaloupe instead! Cantaloupe has 6g of net carbs per half cup. The fruit provides similar health benefits, like high vitamin C content.
Avocados offer healthy fats for the ketogenic diet and have few carbs (only 2g net carbs). It’s A healthy snack that keeps keto flu at bay while providing essential vitamins.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is watermelon keto-friendly?
Watermelon isn’t usually good for keto because it has a lot of sugar and carbs. Eat watermelon in moderation while following a ketogenic diet.
How many carbs are in a typical serving of watermelon?
A cup of diced watermelon has about 11 grams of carbohydrates, including 9 grams of sugar.
What other fruits are more suitable for a keto diet?
Raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, and avocados have fewer carbs. These fruits are a better choice for keto.
How can I eat without going over my carb limit?
You can have watermelon on a keto diet if you eat small amounts and watch your daily carbs. Balancing your fruit with other low-carb foods is also crucial.
Are there any benefits to eating watermelon on a keto diet?
Watermelon is hydrating and rich in vitamins A and C, which makes it beneficial for your health. Because of its high sugar content, you should not eat it all the time.