Dates are one of nature’s sweetest treats that brim with warmth and health benefits. However, you might wonder if they’re a bit too sweet to be a member of the keto-friendly foods club. You’re spot on because keto does not approve dates!
Are dates low-carb? A single date contains more than 17 grams of carbs, which is a lot considering its small size and our carbohydrate allowance on keto. Eating more than one date per serving is commonplace so that you can estimate the sugar intake.
Is there a way to include dates in our diet without jeopardizing ketosis? Given the facts, it seems unlikely, but there are other ways to make up for giving up on this fruity delight.
Serving Size: 1 date
Short answer: No. Dates are not a keto-friendly food. They contain too much sugar and are too high in net carbohydrates to fit into the keto diet.
Table of Contents
What Are Dates?
Dates are a fruit that comes from the date palm tree. The date is an oval fruit about 1-2 inches across and has brownish wrinkled skin.
The dates are lovely and have a chewy texture. They are often rich in minerals, vitamins, and fiber. Some people describe dates as having a caramel flavor.
People will eat dates as a snack, bake them into many different dishes, use them as a sweetener, and put them in shakes or smoothies.
Are Dates Keto Friendly?
Unfortunately, dates are not keto-friendly because a single date has 17g of net carbs. Most people eat more than a single date in a serving. If you were to eat 100g, you would consume about 68 grams of net carbs. That is more than most people eat on keto in 3 days. See more nutritional information about dates.
While dates have some nutritional benefits, their amount of sugar makes them off-limits for keto. Consuming just one date is likely to kick your body out of ketosis, and it can take a long time to get back into ketosis.
If you want to stick to the keto diet and keep your body in fat-burning mode, you need to avoid dates.
Do Dates Have Health Benefits?
Even though dates are not keto-friendly, you may wonder if they have any benefits. Dates, as with most fruits, do have some advantages.
- Rich in nutrients: Dates are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them a good source of nutrition.
- High in antioxidants: Dates contain several types of antioxidants that help protect your cells from damage.
- Improve digestion: Dates are fiber-rich, which can help improve digestion and prevent constipation.
- Boost energy: Dates are a great source of carbohydrates, making them a quick and easy snack to boost energy levels.
- Support bone health: Dates are rich in minerals such as calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, which are essential for strong bones.
- Promote heart health: Dates contain several nutrients that may help reduce the risk of heart disease, including fiber, potassium, and antioxidants.
While dates have several health benefits, we do not recommend them for the keto diet due to a high carb count.
What Are Some Alternatives to Dates on the Keto Diet?
When trying to replace a fruit that is not keto, berries are the clearest choice due to their relatively low net carb count, even though they taste sweet and acidic. Using berries to replace high-carb fruit is a good idea. Here are some of the best berries for the keto diet:
- Blackberries: 4.31 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Raspberries: 5.44 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Strawberries: 5.68 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Gooseberries: 6.63 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Elderberries: 7.03 grams of net carbs per 100 grams.
- Boysenberries: 7.38 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Cranberries: 8.38 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
- Blueberries: 12.11 grams of net carbs per 100 grams
Common Questions About Dates
What is a date?
A date is a sweet fruit that comes from the date palm tree.
What is the most common type of date?
Medjool dates are the most common type of date.
Are dates high in sugar?
Yes, dates are high in natural sugars.
What is the nutrition info for dates?
100g of dates have 277 calories, 1.8g of protein, no fat, and 75 carbohydrates. If you subtract the 6g of fiber, you will see that date has a net carb count of 69
Can dates be used as a natural sweetener in recipes?
Yes, dates can be used to sweeten smoothies, desserts, and other recipes.
How long do dates last?
Fresh dates can last up to a week in the refrigerator, while dried dates can last for months in an airtight container.
How can you tell if a date is ripe?
Ripe dates are soft and have a wrinkled appearance.
Finding fruits, you can eat on the keto diet can be difficult. While dates are tasty and have some health benefits, they are not keto-friendly. 100g of dates have 69 grams of net carbs. The keto diet has more than enough net carbs for three days.
Eating dates will kick you out of ketosis, which means you must work to get back into the fat-burning state. There are some alternatives to dates, such as many types of berries. You can enjoy these as a substitution for dates.